Monday, August 10, 2015

Another anniversary- the not-so-happy kind.

It's unbelievable to me that I haven't posted on this blog in almost a year!  I've written (partially or totally) several things but haven't shared them.  Tonight I'm more led to write and share, because tonight is the six-year anniversary of Randy leaving this world. That seems unbelievable to me- six whole years.  Things are much the same, but also very different in my life.  I think about Randy every day, but usually not in a sad or mournful way.  I remember the joy and fun times we shared and I miss those and him, but I'm also thankful for so many good things in my life today. I often think of those in light of how Randy would enjoy them, especially the puppies!

Of course, he would have suffered with me through losing Sophie and probably would have been OK to go full force into fostering to help ease that grief.  And then there's adopting Ellie Rose!   I'm sure he would love her as much as I do, although he probably would have taught her more manners at an earlier age, like he did Sophie!

The Alaska trip was something we both wanted to do, so I was a bit sad in some ways that he couldn't enjoy it with his brother, sis-in-law and me.  But that's just how life goes - we don't all get to do what we want or think or even expect.  I'm grateful for all the good times Randy and I had, as well as all of the good times I've managed to have without him here.  I'm mostly just thankful to be content where I am, at least most of the time.  Maybe I'm a little more content when there are three foster puppies asleep on/near my lap, as there are right now, but hey, give me a break!  We all have our addictions!



So, here's a toast to Randy and how he was loved - by not only me, but many of you and many others who won't ever read this.  Whenever and wherever you are, please think of Randy with a smile and a cheer (and a Boomer Sooner, if you're so inclined!).  Thank you for remembering him and sharing my memories tonight!

2 comments:

  1. The thing I believe I liked most about Randy was that he seemed disinclined to stress over the things that happen day to day. Everybody has a car break down, a work request that cannot be met, times when responsibility gets of the way of the 'But I wanna's'. He seemed to see much of the (mela)drama around him as absurd. The world doesn't just seem crazy sometimes, most of the time it IS crazy. And maybe you can only shrug your shoulders, roll your eyes and laugh. But Boomer Sooner is a bridge too far. Sorry, Karen and Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Harold - you said it well. Randy helped keep me anchored. And I really dislike drama queens (and kings) to this day. And I totally understand about Boomer Sooner. No problem!

    ReplyDelete